Author Topic: "Converting" my lady keystone 22-D to fired terra cotta  (Read 90 times)

Offline \\-olff

• Professional Sculptor
  • Administrator
  • Sculptor
"Converting" my lady keystone 22-D to fired terra cotta
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »
I decided to take the steps needed to be able to produce this little keystone in kiln fired terra cotta, now after several steps- the final step is pictured,  I have the plaster piece-mold to do it once it dries out.

Sculptures are drawings you fall over in the dark

Offline \\-olff

• Professional Sculptor
  • Administrator
  • Sculptor
Re: "Converting" my lady keystone 22-D to fired terra cotta
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:16:05 PM »
The first pressed clay is now out of the mold and she came out with a very minimal amount of surface defects that have to be fixed by hand. In the 1890s when these pieces were made the workers pounded the clay in using a small sand bag to ram the clay into the details and eliminate the little "creases" that I seem to get between pieces of clay laid in and pressed next to each other. Might help too if the clay was a little more moist and softer but I hesitate to add water since more water causes more shrinkage. To get a batch custom mixed to add a little more water I'd have to buy I believe a full ton and there's an extra charge too.
 Really want to see this in the red clay but I don't have enough to do it and only had 50# of this white clay left.

Sculptures are drawings you fall over in the dark