Author Topic: Hindenberg scrap used for FDNY doors?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline \\-olff

• Professional Sculptor
  • Administrator
  • Sculptor
Hindenberg scrap used for FDNY doors?
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
Here's an interesting tidbit, the aluminum door on my VF post has the name "TENUAL" inside, I've connected that as a possible brand name that the National Bronze and Aluminum Foundry Co. once  located in Cleveland, Ohio, turns out the name is found on automobile engine parts made back in the 1930s, obviously this large foundry made a variety of aluminum parts, so replacement doors for the Fire Dept in NYC makes sense.

Even more interesting is that in Oct 1937 a tiny blurb in the Pittsburgh Press paper mentioned that this foundry had acquired the 150,000# of scrap metal that was the wreckage of the Hindenburg. Part of the contract specified that the metal could not be used for ashtrays, bookends, or similar items.
The approximate time frame of 1937 fits about when many of the fire box doors were updated with new aluminum doors, and the TENUAL name indicates this foundry made them, it would make perfect sense given the contract about ashtrays and bookends, that they very likely would have come up with the perfect items to use some of the metal for- public safety related equipment.
It's conjecture on my part but several things seem to point to this being a very distinct possibility that at least some of the aluminum in the doors came from the Hindenburg scrap.
The Hindenburg was made from an aluminum/copper alloy called Duralumin, it was aluminum with about 4% copper added for hardness, it was invented in 1909 after discovering the alloy would get harder over several days after quenching it.
Sculptures are drawings you fall over in the dark